Our SumUp office in Berlin is hiring for the position of (Senior) Frontend Engineer.
In this role, you'll work with a small cross-functional team to build tools that help hundreds of thousands of small businesses thrive. By shipping code early and often, you'll see the impact of your work on merchant's daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
We work on a number of different projects that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging on the web at SumUp include React, Webpack, Jest, Enzyme, Storybook, Next.js, Gatsby, Emotion, Node, and Docker.
You'll fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You not only love coding, but also take the time to reflect on the benefits and drawbacks of your tools, be they frameworks, languages, or processes.
- You strive for clean code, but also know how to make your "shortcuts" easy to delete in a crunch.
- You know what to test, why to test it, and how to write meaningful tests.
- You have experience with or interest in Functional Programming techniques.
- You know how to make pragmatic programming decisions in a complex codebase.
- You care about user interaction, usability, and of course – making the interface beautiful.
- In general, technology excites you and you strive to learn something on a daily basis!
Hundreds of thousands of business owners rely on SumUp to drive their business. You'll shape some of their core experiences: from their first impression on our website, to the web-based features that make them loyal to our platform. Here are some of the things you'll be doing at SumUp:
- Work with a cross-functional team to ship code multiple times per week.
- Develop new features and components in our public website, built with Next.js (a framework for server-side rendered React).
- Refine the full stack of the website, from CI/CD tooling, to test automation, building features, running experiments, and monitoring and production support.
- Collaborate with product and design departments to build maintainable, usable, and beautiful features.
- Share your knowledge with other developers through pair programming and receive mentorship in return.
- Take initiative in pushing projects forward, while validating and communicating your ideas with the team.
- Help us continue to develop our open-source projects and culture.
- Assist in hiring and recruiting efforts to continue to build the team.
Here are a few things you could work on at SumUp
- Our public website, built with React and Next.js and modern tooling (Webpack, Prettier, Jest, Enzyme). Today we enable our marketing, business development, and communications teams to build custom pages with React components. Tomorrow we are building more tools to improve editor productivity, handle our expanding product offering, and educate merchants on growing their business
- Our merchant-facing React app, replete with all the modern tooling. The application provides functions like analytics, employee management, ecommerce, onboarding, and referrals. Many cool features are in the pipeline surrounding Point of Sale, product catalogue, and more.
- Our design system and component library, built in React, using Emotion for CSS-in-JS. These components can be used in all our different web applications. We use Storybook as a component workbench and Docz to generate public-facing documentation.
- And many more, like our SumUp for Developers tools, ecom gateway, open source integrations, internal applications, and greenfield projects. We also do CI with Docker and Jenkins, and will soon be working with Kubernetes as well.
If you're interested in diving into the platform or getting your hands dirty in devops, you're encouraged to extend your impact to those areas as well.
- Experience with running Node on production, ideally in the context of a server-side rendered React app
- Understanding of web performance and page speed optimization techniques
- Exposure to debugging, monitoring, and optimizing performance in Node
- Interest or experience with SEO and web accessibility
- Command line fundamentals (git, ssh, editing a file on a remote server, reading logs, etc.)
- Ability to implement design specs precisely
- Ability to communicate fluently about technical topics in English
- Proactive attitude and product mindset − you own what you build!
- 3+ years professional experience
- Annual budget of 2.000 € for attending conferences and advancing your career through further education. We encourage you to speak at conferences and give talks.
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local engineering team exchanges ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- Dedicated time every week for side-projects and open source initiatives.
- Semi-annual offsites, where the engineering teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria, Greece, and a castle in the German countryside.
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office parties, German classes, and yoga classes.
- Urban Sports Club subsidy, Corporate Pension Scheme, Kita placement assistance, relocation assistance, and a gorgeous place to work in the heart of Berlin at Alexanderplatz.
- All the startup swag you expect: kicker table, unlimited coffee, and a shiny MacBook Pro.
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe. We started out 5 years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within anyone. We created a unique device that, with the smartphone that’s in your pocket, allows small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Whether our merchants are brewing coffee or fixing cars, we want to make technology that everyone knows how to use. That way our merchants can focus on what they do best. From our paperless onboarding to taking the first payment, we make it easy. Traditional offerings leave out small businesses, we don’t. We are open and honest about our pricing and have no hidden fees.
Today, hundreds of thousands of small businesses in 31 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. In addition to our original hardware, mobile and web apps we have gone on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs to integrate SumUp payment into other apps and services.
Why work with us?
We do things differently. We build our own payment solution end-to-end so that we can always offer the best value and service. We know how vital payment is to small businesses, so we use our technology to solve their problems. We believe in open and transparent communication, not strict rules and hierarchies. We are a team of hardworking, talented people with one goal: to build a better way to get paid. We’ve got some huge challenges ahead of us, and we need smart, creative people to help us tackle them. If you think you’ve got what it takes—join us.