Our SumUp office in Berlin is hiring for the position of Backend Engineer.
In this role, you'll work with a small cross-functional co-located team to build tools that help hundreds of thousands of small businesses thrive. By shipping code early and often, you'll see the impact of your work on merchant's daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
We work on a number of different domains that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging on the SumUp platform include Ruby, Java, Node, Erlang, Go, RabbitMQ, Kubernetes and Docker.
Your role and responsibilities
- Participate in API design and implementation for both internal APIs and those exposed to our third-party integrators.
- Design, implement, and iteratively improve new backend services.
- Maintain and extend existing backend services.
- Collaborate with other software, QA and devops engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continual operation and support for quality software.
- Actively provide code review feedback to other software engineers, considering both style and implementation.
- Provide thoughtful and comprehensive documentation and testing for your features before shipping them.
- Experience with microservices architecture and Restful APIs
- Experience with Git
- Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL)
- Experience within Linux/Unix environment (comfortable working with a CLI)
- Solid OOP and FP skills
- Solid debugging, optimisation and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and engaged attitude towards projects
- Ability to write clear, concise and maintainable code that your teammates can understand and build upon
- Responsibility and empowerment from day one.
- Competitive compensation and education budget.
- Participate in our weekly developer events, like Lunch & Learn and Hack Fridays.
- We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, yoga, massages and office parties.
- At least one hackathon off-site every year for one week, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather to hack together. In the past we've gone to Germany, Bulgaria and Greece.
- Be part of one of world’s most exciting startups, on a mission to take over the world.
- Three days of extra vacation +1 day added every year
- Additional Health Insurance
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You'll be asked to provide the following information when you apply:
- Why do you think you'd be a good fit for this position?
- One of your favorite coding challenges you encountered in the last two years: what was it about, how you tackled it, and what you learned. Technical details encouraged!
You can also choose whether to include a CV, a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your github, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe. We started out 6 years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within anyone. We created a unique device that, with the smartphone that’s in your pocket, allows small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Whether our merchants are brewing coffee or fixing cars, we want to make technology that everyone knows how to use. That way our merchants can focus on what they do best. From our paperless onboarding to taking the first payment, we make it easy. Traditional offerings leave out small businesses, we don’t. We are open and honest about our pricing and have no hidden fees.